Monday, January 21, 2008

Attitude

What a rough week:

  • Still re-couping from a stolen wallet episode on New Year's Eve (i.e. canceling credit cards, taking the MN driver's test to get a MN ID, getting a new U Card, buying a new wallet!)
  • Painstakingly going through the process of having my parked car hit and damaged passed a driveable limit. Not only a visit downtown to get the accident reports (not a 5-minute errand) and dealing with auto body shop / insurance company, but... I HAVE NO CAR!!
  • Setbacks with prospective advertisers dropping out for the '08 edition of the Advsior
  • Found out I'd been paying $1.00 into my apartment complex's dryer, only to find out from a roommate that it if you put a quarter in the farthest right slot, it only costs $0.25!
  • And to top it all off, Brett and the boys couldn't pull it together in OT last night in Lambeau. Particularly sad (but perhaps fitting) that Favre's last NFL throw was a pick.
Pretty easy to look at that week and feel not-so-great about the way things are going. Whenever I'm faced with a day/week/situation/whatever like this, I always say two words to myself:

BIG PICTURE

You have a choice. You can let adversity control you by focusing your attitude on negativity. OR, you can choose to put all those negative things into what I like to call "my small stuff bucket," realizing that whatever it is that's getting me down probably won't be getting me down in a week or two and that I have bigger things to worry about than a little fender bender or not being able to close a few sponsors for our publication.

Your energy can be put to better use than sweating the small stuff, and all it takes is treating yourself to bit of hard-nosed honesty that whatever it is probably isn't THAT big of a deal.

How much small stuff are you sweating?

1 comment:

Roonie said...

I sweat the small stuff way too much. Waaaaay too much.

You have no idea how much I stress about the little things where normal people would just tell me to "relax."

Sometimes I need a good (figurative) slap in the face telling me to chill.

Things ALWAYS work out in the end. I am the epitome of that.