Sunday, January 13, 2008

The future of FREE

Chris Anderson seems wicked smart- his latest resume bullet is Editor of Wired Magazine. Check out a video of him speaking on the "economy of free." I pretty much agree with every damn word that comes out of his mouth.

I got to thinking about his theory and wondering how I can bring it to other industries (i.e. where else, aside from the production of transistors, are the costs of producing something approaching zero?)

This is NOT the billion dollar answer, but I couldn't help myself...

If I owned a grocery store near a college campus, I would give away Ramen noodles for free. Maybe limit the amount to 2 or 4 per customer per visit, and I know production of Ramen noodles doesn't really fit his economic theory/observation, but that's beside the point.

I know the golden rule is location location location, but near campus, a very close second to the golden rule is FREE, and an equally close third is Ramen noodles... What college student WOULDN'T buy groceries at "U-Ramen Supermarket"?!?!?

No comments: